There are a few tell-tale signs that you can use to determine if someone else has logged into your Facebook account. For example, if you see unfamiliar messages or posts on your profile, or if your account settings have been changed, then it’s likely that someone else has been on your account.
If you’re concerned that someone else has access to your Facebook account, then the best thing to do is to change your password and enable two-factor authentication. That way, even if someone does manage to log into your account, they won’t be able to do anything unless they also have access to your phone.
How to tell if someone else logged into your Facebook account
If you think someone else has logged into your Facebook account, there are a few things you can do to check.
First, open up the Facebook app and go to the Settings menu. From there, select ‘Security and Login.’
On the next page, look for the ‘Where You’re Logged In’ section. This will show you all of the devices that are currently logged into your Facebook account. If you see any devices that you don’t recognize, it’s possible that someone else has accessed your account.
Another thing you can do is check your recent activity. Again in the ‘Security and Login’ menu, there is an option to ‘View All.’ This will bring up a list of all of the recent activity on your account, including logging in from new devices, changing your password, and so on. If anything looks suspicious, it’s possible that someone else has access to your account.
If you’re still not sure, you can always contact Facebook directly for help.
What to do if you think someone has accessed your account
If you think someone has accessed your account, there are a few things you can do to secure it and prevent further access:
1. Change your password: This is the first step you should take if you think your account has been compromised. Choose a strong, unique password that you haven’t used before, and make sure to change it on all the devices you use to access Facebook.
2. Log out of all devices: If you think someone has accessed your account from a device other than your own, make sure to log out of all devices (including your own) and change your password as soon as possible.
3. Check for unusual activity: Take a look at your recent login history and activity log to see if there’s anything out of the ordinary. If you see any suspicious activity, report it to us immediately.
4. Enable two-factor authentication: This is an extra layer of security that makes it harder for someone to access your account even if they have your password. We recommend enabling two-factor authentication for all accounts, not just Facebook.
How to protect your account from being accessed by others
If you believe that someone has gained unauthorized access to your Facebook account, you should immediately take steps to protect your account and secure it from further access.
There are a few things you can do to help protect your Facebook account:
- Use a strong password: A strong password is at least six characters long and includes a combination of letters, numbers, and symbols. Avoid using easily guessed words like your name or birthday.
- Use two-factor authentication: Two-factor authentication adds an extra layer of security to your account by requiring you to enter a code every time you log in, in addition to your password. You can set up two-factor authentication for your Facebook account by going to Settings > Security and Login > Two-Factor Authentication.
- Keep your software up to date: Be sure to keep your web browser and operating system up to date with the latest security patches. You can check for updates for most browsers by going to the browser’s menu and selecting “Help” or “About.”
- Don’t click on suspicious links: Be wary of clicking on links in emails, posts, or messages that look suspicious or come from people you don’t know. If you’re not sure whether a link is safe, go to facebook.com/safety first before clicking on it.
- Don’t accept friend that you don’t know: If you have requests from people you don’t know, please never accept them
- Never share your login information: Scammers may create a fake site make sure you always visit www.facebook.com in your browser
- Report anything suspicious: If you see something on Facebook that looks like spam or fraud, report it by clicking the three dots next to the post and selecting “Report post” or “Report ad.”
Tips for keeping your account secure
Here are some tips for keeping your account secure:
- Don’t share your password with anyone. Not even your best friend.
- Change your password often, and make sure it’s a strong password.
- Use two-factor authentication. (SMS, Email Verification)
- Be careful about what you click on. Don’t click on links from people you don’t know, and be careful about clicking on links in general.
Think before you post. Once something is online, it’s there forever. So think about whether you really want to post that picture or status update before you do it.
How to spot suspicious activity on your Facebook account
If you think someone else may have logged into your Facebook account, there are a few things you can do to spot suspicious activity:
- Check your recent login history. You can do this by going to the Security and Login section of your Facebook settings. If you see any unrecognizable logins, it may be an indication that someone else has accessed your account.
- Take a look at your active sessions. This is also located in the Security and Login section of your Facebook settings. If you see any sessions that you don’t recognize, it’s possible that someone else is logged into your account.
- Review your recent activity. Check things like your posts, messages, and comments to see if anything looks out of place. If you see something that doesn’t seem like something you would have posted or said, it’s possible that someone else has accessed your account.
If you spot any suspicious activity on your Facebook account, be sure to change your password and enable two-factor authentication. This will help to protect your account in the future.
How to report suspicious activity on your account
If you think someone has accessed your account without your permission, you can report it to us.
To report suspicious activity:
Click the down arrow at the top right of any Facebook page. Select “Settings”. Click “Security and Login”. Under “Where You’re Logged In”, click “See More”. next to any active sessions, click “End Activity”. To report a session that you don’t recognize, click the three dots next to it and then click “Report”.
If you think someone has tried to log into your account using a security code text message:
Click the down arrow at the top right of any Facebook page. Select “Settings”. Click Security and Login. Under “Security Code Texts”, next to “Don’t allow anyone to request or generate codes for my account”, click Edit and set it to Disabled.
How to contact Facebook if you think your account has been hacked
If you think your Facebook account has been hacked or taken over by someone else, we recommend first trying to recover your account.
If you can’t log into your Facebook account:
- Try logging in with an alternate email or phone number. You may have added these to your account and simply forgotten about them.
- If you don’t have any alternate email or phone numbers listed on your account, try adding them now so you can recover your account if needed.
- Check out our article on what to do if you can’t remember your password for more help.
- Try resetting your password
- Go to facebook.com/login/identify and follow the instructions.
- Make sure to use a computer or mobile phone that you have previously logged into with your Facebook account.
- If you’re still having trouble, we can help you recover your account.
What to do if your Facebook account has been hacked
If you think your account has been hacked, the first thing you should do is change your password. You should also check to see if there are any unfamiliar messages or posts on your Timeline. If you spot anything, report it to Facebook immediately.
You can also take measures to secure your account so that it can’t be hacked again in the future. Start by enabling two-factor authentication, which will require you to enter a code every time you try to log in. You should also add security questions so that only you will know the answers and be able to access your account. Finally, make sure to keep your software up to date, as outdated software can be one of the biggest security risks.